Technical Details of the blog:
- WordPress 3.6
The great thing about a WordPress blog is its amazing level of extendibility. There are hundreds of plugins and hundreds of good looking themes available freely. I have tried out a number of themes and plugins before settling down on the minimum set I would like on my blog.
Here is the listing of the WordPress extensions used in this site
- Platform by Pagelines: This is a professionally designed theme, I am suing the free version of it. It is very neat and allows me to create a minimalist ambiance on the site. It has pwerful widget and column support.
- Akismet : This plugin comes default with the WordPress 2.0 installation. I need to register at wordpress.org to get the activation key needed for running this plugin. I have found this plugin very effective.
- BackWPup: Using the free version of the plugin. Allows for scheduled backup of all files and databases.
- Easy Chart Builder: A very easy to use,yet powerful chat building plugin. Using it mostly for benchmark posts.
- Google Analyticator : This allows me to collect website usage statistics using Google analytics. No code change was needed.
- Google XLM Sitemaps: Creates sitemaps compatible with Google, Yahoo, Ask search.
- Jetpack: This is a full suite of apps. Gradually I am replacing individual plugins with the apps provided by Jetpack
- NextGen Gallery: Have been using it as the default gallery plugin. Lately I am moving most of the galleries and photos to the WordPress native photo and gallery app. I find this plugin quite inconsistent and I plan to remove this plugin all together.
- W3 Total Cache : A very feature rich caching plugin.
- WP Table Reloaded: A very easy to use and functional table creation plugin.
- Yet Another Related Post: Using it to shows related posts at the bottom of the page.
Why is the blog called luhit ?
I have named it after that great river on whose banks I grew up. The mighty river Luhit, begins on the glacial heights of Tibet and meanders across Assam, in eastern India, to flow into the Bay of Bengal. Luhit is popularly known as Brahmaputra – the son of Lord Brahma.