This is the third post of the series on using the Apple Remote with VLC Media Player. In this post we will cover a amazing new application called iRed Lite. In the first post we covered Remote Buddy and Apple Remote Helper in the second post. iRed Lite is a new Beta software and has the promise to be the best of the three applications we have reviewed here.
iRed Lite is a extremely stable and capable for Beta software. It comes with built in support for about 10 applications (like iTunes, System, Finder, QT Player, Keynote, Eye TV, MS PowerPoint, iPhoto, Preview ….)
What iRed Lite is capable of is more interesting. iRed Lite includes a expert editor using which anyone can easily create a Apple Remote control profile for any application that runs on Mac OSX. You can easily create a application profile using the applications hot-keys or using Apple Script. It took me to 30 minutes, read iRed Lites documentation and create a usable profile for VLC player.
This Expert Editor makes iRed Lite a very useful and powerful tool. You can customize and adapt it to control any application using the Apple Remote.
Being a Beta Software, it has some rough edges. For instance switching between profiles can be sometime tedious. Its documentation has scope for improvement.
Over all, I would rate iRed Lite ahead of Remote Buddy.
Getting Started with iRed Lite & VLC Player Remote Controls
- You can grab your copy of iRed Lite from here.
- For VLC Media Player support download this profile ( iRed Lite VLC Player Profile ). This is required for VLC Player to work with Apple Remote. I have created just basic video navigation controls(fast forward, rewind, pause resume, full-screen), audio controls (volume up, volume down) & base DVD controls. Click on the thumbnail below for mappings used in the Apple Remote for VLC Player. I have created this profile on iRed Lite on Beta version 0.96 (build 21).
- Install the DMG file for iRed Lite
- Launch the iRed Lite app
- Launch the iRed Lite Expert Editor (Show Editor) from the OSX Menu Bar.
- From the iRed Lite Expert import VLC.irla file contained in iRed Lite VLC Player Profile
Now time to enjoy a good movie on the VLC player from the comfort of your sofa or your bed.
powered by performancing firefox